Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

"I don't believe a bicycle is a transportation device"

Dear Supervisor Cook

You reportedly said  "I don't believe a bicycle is a transportation device"

QUOTE
"I think it's a recreation device. The big problem is people don't want to ride their bike in the rain or get sweaty before work."

Cook categorized bike trails as little more than a weekend diversion, vexing fellow supervisors who have pushed for more bike access.
END QUOTE

It was my impression that we were moving toward fact based policy. I would love to see your evidence for these remarks.  Virginia and Washington has some wonderful Bike Organizations.  Perhaps you could consult with WABA and the VA Bike Federation and see if that just might not be false.

Reality is - your neighbor Arlington has GREAT bike lanes that are highly utilized along with a public transportation system that supports bikers. Bikes are everywhere. People bike to school - they bike to work - people bike for recreation (and that's a pretty good idea too).  I have lived here all my life and been biking to work for decades.  I bought my house because it was close to bike lanes (and close to public transportation).  The parking garage at my office is filled with bikes.

Perhaps, like Arlington, we need to be focusing more on bikes and buses as means of transportation --- and less on widening 66 and turning Arlington into pavement for the benefit of residents of Fairfax.

[You Too can drop Supervisor Cook a note [braddock@fairfaxcounty.gov] and share your views on whether bikes are a "transportation device"]

No comments: